From premature babies to twins, triplets or more, the neonatal specialists at Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children are uniquely equipped to take care of your newborn and any special needs he or she might have.
Expert NICU Care for Our Tiniest Patients
Our Level III Regional Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is staffed with an interdisciplinary team to ensure that your tiny bundle of joy receives the best possible start.
Our highly skilled neonatologists work together with neonatal nurse practitioners to provide 24-hour care, seven days a week. Therapists, registered nurses and social workers round out the team so you can be confident your infant is getting the highest level of care available in the New Orleans area.
- Donor breast milk program
- Total body cooling – treatment that lowers the temperature of infants who don’t have enough oxygen at birth
Conditions We Treat
If your child is born with one of the following conditions, the NICU at Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children offers leading-edge treatments and protocols to increase your infant’s health and wellbeing.
- Retinopathy of Prematurity – an eye disorder that could result in blindness that primarily affects low weight premature infants born before the 31st week of pregnancy.
- Necrotizing Enterocolitis – a serious disease of the intestinal tract.
- Low Birth Weight Infants – a baby who weighs 5.5 pounds or less when born.
- Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome Withdrawal syndrome in newborns caused by use of opiates during pregnancy.
- Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension – a serious condition that causes the baby’s blood flow to bypass its lungs.
Neonatal Transport Team
The Neonatal Transport Team at Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children is comprised of specially-trained registered nurses and respiratory therapists. Critically ill infants may be transported in an ambulance, helicopter or airplane, depending on the location.
NICU Graduate Clinic
The care we provide high-risk infants doesn’t end when you leave our NICU. Through our partners with the Tulane University School of Medicine, we offer a NICU Graduate Clinic that serves as a liaison between the NICU team, pediatrician and subspecialists in order to smooth the transition home, provide ongoing support to the patients and their families and help ensure the patient receives the highest quality medical care.
Call (504) 988-4158 to learn more.