Children with a serious illness or injury can often feel frightened and confused about what’s happening. Pediatric support services such as the Child Life Program at Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children are designed to ease your child’s fears and build an atmosphere of trust and comfort that promotes healing.
What is the Child Life Program?
The Child Life Program is open to all our pediatric patients – both inpatient and outpatient. Our team of caring, compassionate healthcare professionals strives to create an environment of learning through a variety of age-appropriate activities to help your family cope with the stress and uncertainty of illness, injury and hospitalization.
Our services include:
- Education & Preparation. We use easy-to-understand words and demonstrations to prepare your child for any medical procedures or treatments he or she may be facing.
- Advocacy & Psychosocial Support. We teach your child coping strategies to help reduce anxiety and increase cooperation with the healthcare team.
- Procedure & Treatment Care. We support and distract your child during medical procedures and treatments to lessen their fear and make the experience more positive for everyone.
- Family-Centered Care. We provide information, education and support to the entire family.
- Environment. We offer something not always found during illness or injury – a sense of fun in spite of challenging circumstances. A variety of activities are available five days a week. Individual bedside play ensures all children get a chance to participate even if they can’t go the playroom.
- Community Outreach. We work with the community to provide health education and parenting support to families in the New Orleans area.
A wide variety of activities are provided through the Child Life Program. This includes:
- Game playing
- Medical role-play
- Cooking activities
- Pre-operative tours
- Celebrity visits
- Arts and crafts
- Doll play
- Kid Zone facility
- Teen room
Pediatric Support Services through the Child Life Program rely on the generosity of our supporters and their financial gifts. If you are interested in giving to the Child Life Program, please contact Jessica McNulty, Child Life Program manager, via email.
Child Life Internship
Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children's child life department offers year-round internships that consists of 16 weeks (640 hours). The Child Life Program strives to assist patients in expressing their fears, fantasies and feelings and to foster an understanding of their hospital experience. Through a diverse program of services and activities, the Child Life staff is able to meet many needs of the hospitalized child. Contact Jessica at (504) 780-6587 to find out if your university has an affiliation agreement for internships at Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children.
The internship helps develop the following skills:
- Documentation skills
- Activity planning
- Case studies
Please complete the application and return to Jessica McNulty at:
Tulane Lakeside Child Life Dept.
4700 S. I-10 Service Rd. W.
Metairie, LA 70001